Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Knitting the Family Project - Part 1





David, Megan, Paula and Julia.
David learning and Judy working on a panel.




Our family is working on a wedding blanket, 60" x 60", 25 squares knitted in five panels. I am responsible for three panels. Megan, 12 in July, is committed to one panel. Julia, 10 in July, is deciding which square she will do on the 5th and last panel. Paula, our daughter, is doing the last column with some help from Julia. David, my husband, is learning the knitting stitch and will contribute to the last of the two squares I am on. The gift is for our second oldest granddaughter, Katharine and her soon to be husband, Jim.

I've made lots of mistakes and marvel at the fluidity of Megan's knitting. Meg Downey says that the mistakes are our "signature stitches." This helps to look at it this way. To give myself some slack, I had put down knitting over 25 years ago and then didn't much enjoy doing it. When we moved to Pocatello, I quickly realized that one of the ways to spend quality time with my family would be to pick up knitting. I have thrown my self whole heartily into it and enjoy many hours at the Mustard Seed Dreams yarn store.






2 comments:

Frieda said...

What a wonderful keepsake that will be ! I'm blown away by Megan , knitting and teaching others to knit at such a young age. Happy knitting !

lexa said...

The blanket sounds really neat! I am hoping to make an afghan for my mother for Christmas. I get easily sidetracked on big projects, so I'll have to see how it goes. It's knit in squares that are all sewn together at the end. That will be the tough part because I hate seaming!